A health informatics degree programs are also known as an medical informatics degree or bioinformatics degree programs. These health and medical programs are designed to provide student s with the skills and knowledge in database management and programming and health care management in the courses they enroll in.The field of bioinformatics is relatively young but is steadily growing. A health informatics degree is an interdisciplinary area which blends computing and clinical skills. The field also provides learners with computer technology or information technology backgrounds and clinical or medical training with advanced preparation to work in hospitals, health care systems, academia and research, and medical equipment industry. It also creates new ways for health care settings to keep records efficiently. Accredited medical and healthcare informatics degree programs provide graduates with the knowledge and skills needed for leadership roles. Studies focus on the application of principles of design, integration, implementation, management, and evaluation of enterprise-wide health care information systems.
Medical Informatics Education and Training
Medical informatics degrees focus on training students to maximize the use of information and communication technology (ICT) to benefit health and human services. In bioinformatics masters degree programs, students learn how to create and maintain various ways for hospitals and healthcare to keep records, in order to make essential medical information accessible.
Medical informatics also deals with finding ways for hospitals and research centers to communicate in a manner that streamlines interpersonal communication between the medical community patients. Health informatics degree students in health and medical informatics degree programs can choose to specialize within several areas including:
- Organizational Informatics
- Public Health Informatics
- Social Informatics
- Clinical Informatics
- Nursing informatics
Medical informatics courses include general biology, chemistry, and computer science, and information technology classes, as well as mathematics. Health informatics masters courses also concentrate on the integration of these disciplines where students begin to learn about how information technology affects all these subjects.
Certificate programs in medical informatics are designed for medical and health professionals who are already working in the field who wish to expand their knowledge or specialize in a certain area. Health informatics courses include:
- Health Informatics Fundamentals
- Health Informatics Planning and Evaluation
- Human Factors in Health and Medical Informatics
- Diffusion of Innovation Theory
- Change Management Theories
- Database Management and Data Mining
- Information Technology Management
- Health Information Technology and Systems
Health Informatics Careers
Health informatics graduates work in many areas including hospitals, medical research laboratories, health insurance companies, Internet companies, engineering firms, health information technology suppliers, consulting companies, etc. They work as database administrators, project managers and project designers, computer programmers, researchers, and systems analysts.
Other tasks range from providing technical support for databases, designing new information systems, to procuring and decision-making on purchases. They can also be responsible for evaluating usability, enhancing information systems, ensuring data accuracy, and training other database users.
At the masters health informatics degree and PhD health informatics levels of study, students in accredited medical informatics degree programs can specialize in many areas including public health informatics, social informatics, clinical informatics, and bioinformatics just to name a few.
With a health informatics degree, bioinformatics degree or medical informatics degree you can work as a paramagnetic, geneticist, biotitic, medical database administrator, instructor of biomedical, medical bioinformatics or health informatics, health informatics researcher, medical informatics project manager, project designer, or systems analyst. You can also work in informatics nursing.
Healthcare Informatics and Bioinformatics Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Nursing - Informatics
- Master of Health Informatics
- Health Information Technology/Management
- Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs in digital investigations, information assurance and security, project management, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- 8 out the top 20 employers of AIU graduates are Fortune 50 companies
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- AS - Health Information Technology
Go above and beyond typical online classes with Bryan University. Enter a virtual classroom setting, where you’ll directly interact live with instructors and fellow students. Learn more
- Master of Science in Healthcare Informatics and Analytics
- Associate Degree in Health Information Technology
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Health Informatics
- Master of Health Information Management
- Bachelor of Science: Health Information Management
At YTI Career Institute, we are your beacon—brightening your future outlook and lighting your path to a rewarding career. As a YTI student, you’ll enjoy five advantages:
1. Industry-modeled training in Trades and Technical, Computers, Business, Medical, Culinary Arts or Criminal Justice.
2. Accelerated programs you can complete in as few as 9 months.
3. Energized, student-centered faculty who provide personalized instruction.
4. Financial Aid assistance for those who qualify.
5. Career Services assistance through your Career Services Specialist.
- Computer Systems Specialist - Associate
- Computer Science and Information Systems Technology
- Health Information Technology
- Health Information Technology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Sciences
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (Certificate) - Online